Pages

7.2.18

AW, SHUCKS! a story in one hundred words


AW, SHUCKS!

Henry’s hotel had seen better days, but then so had the town.
Within a decade of the County re-routing the highway the place had become a backwater, full of washed-up trash and drifters. The hotel’s wallpaper peeled off and flakes of rust fell if a pigeon landed on the roof.
When a stranger booked a room for a week, Henry was too astonished to enquire what the man did all day out in the woods, and when he offered to buy the place, Henry practically bit his hand off.
Henry left for Florida a week before the new owner struck gold.
.......................................................................................................
Yet again Rochelle has found a photo to stir the imagination, this one taken by JSBrand. Thanks to those of you who sympathized with my internet dilemma last week - I found a lovely woman locally who fixed it, so now I'm back in business, and can comment on more posts than I did last week.
One more thing - if any of you have been good enough to buy my book - link at the top of the page if you haven't! - could you please compound your kindness by writing a review? Thanks.

40 comments:

  1. Oh no! I wasn't expecting that twist. (Lovely descriptions, by the way.)

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - glad I took you by surprise.

      Delete
  2. At first I thought Henry almost bit his hand off because he didn't want to sell...
    I reviewed your wonderful book on both Goodreads and Amazon.ca... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dale. I can only see 3 reviews on there, I'll have to try Amazon.ca!

      Delete
  3. That ended well but not for Henry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope he at least got a decent price for the hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Liz,

    If only he'd had a bit more patience. ;) Well written as always.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    PS I just finished your book. What an imaginative adventure! I will be reviewing it soon on Amazon.com and try to paste it into co.uk. Could I noodge you to leave a review for Please Say Kaddish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. Sorry, thought I had.

      Delete
    2. Actually you did. Thank you, Liz. Any chance I could coerce you into pasting it into the Amazon.com site? At any rate, I appreciate it.

      Delete
    3. If you tell me how, step by simple step, I'm happy to 😊

      Delete
    4. Thanks so much, Liz. That worked. I still wish all of the Amazons...Canada, UK, US etc would compile all of the reviews in one. But then , no one asked me.

      Delete
    5. So do I. There are two great reviews, including yours for which I thank you, that don't appear on Amazon.uk. it's most frustrating. Clearly designed by a man, if one is allowed to say that in these PC times!

      Delete
  6. aw, shucks! indeed! if anything, he left before knowing about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Henry's living modestly in the sun in Florida. He wouldn't want to be bothered with a gold mine - just think of the hassle!
    Nice story, and well told. I love the flakes of rust falling when a pigeon lands on the roof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny. Yes, I guess Henry's happy enough.

      Delete
  8. I guess the purchaser knew something 'ole Henry didn't! Nice one liz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. He should have suspected there was something behind the offer and checked his land before selling.

      Delete
  10. I love your story, the twist is just great. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, great twist at the end! Well d one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that made me suck in my breath and say, "What a scoundrel!" Well, done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. His language was probably a lot riper than that!

      Delete
  14. There is always a reason not to accept... but maybe Henry will be happier in Florida than staying to collect the stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope so - and he's probably sick of the place anyway!

      Delete
  15. Damn, Henry has luck like mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why - did you miss out on a goldmine too?

      Delete
  16. Well ... someone got lucky ... But, it wasn't Henry. haha
    Fun story, Liz. And, an unexpected ending to top it all off.
    Isadora 😎

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for finding me so late in the week!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!